Selected Indie 80Free Exhibit Plan for Indie Game Developers
TOKYO GAME SHOW(TGS) 2023, with the support of our sponsors, will set up "Selected Indie 80" (former name: Selected Exhibit) slot where indie game developers can exhibit their games in real for free at the Indie Game Area.
Refer to the application qualifications and application conditions below, and if applicants are an individual or group that meets the conditions, please apply for your title in the "Selected Indie 80".
TGS Management Office will be screening for qualified exhibitors. The selected exhibitors will be automatically entered as candidates for the presentation event "SENSE OF WONDER NIGHT 2023" (SOWN2023), where game ideas will be competed. Eight titles with excellent ideas will be selected by the judge, and the developers will become SOWN finalists. Finalists will present their titles at SOWN2023 on the second day of TGS2023.
The presentation will be streamed live on the official TGS program during the day of the event and archived.
The information related to the title entered at the time of entry will be posted on the website, etc., and will be shared with outsourced companies that have signed confidentiality agreements, judges, and sponsor companies that support "Selected Indie 80". In addition, TGS Management Office sends e-mails, etc., on behalf of various sponsor companies (information on meetings, products/services, exhibitions/seminars/events, etc.) and requests for surveys, etc.
Please only apply if you agree to provide your registration information.
Application deadline : April 30 (Sun) JST 24:00, 2023
Qualified/Unqualified result about "Selected Indie 80" : By email after mid-May
If you do not meet the conditions of this project, or if you are not selected for the "Selected Indie 80", please consider exhibiting at the "Indie Game Area" as usual (paid exhibit).
Application Conditions and Outline for "Selected Indie 80"
(2-1, Nakase, Mihama-ku, Chiba-city, 261-8550 Japan)
September 21 (Thu.) ～ 24 (Sun.), 2023
Selection will be conducted by TGS Management Office
Open to all individuals regardless of nationality, age, or occupation (students, game producers, etc.) and to all corporate bodies.
|Group or Organization that can be exhibited||
|What can be exhibited||
"Selected Indie 80" Benefits
TGS2023 will provide the following services to exhibitors (For Selected Indie 80) with free of charge.
- A dedicated booth will be set up in the Indie Game Area at the Makuhari Messe venue. (See the booth image)
- 5 exhibitor passes
- Internet WiFi Access at the booth (no guaranteed bandwidth)
* No platform and monitor is included at the booth. Please prepare it by exhibitor's own self.
- Posting exhibitor names on the TGS official website "Exhibitor List/Selected Indie 80" page
- Exhibitor introduction pages (Japanese and English) are provided
- Exhibited titles will be posted on the TGS special site installed on Steam (if titles for Steam are available )
- Use of TGS Business Matching System
|Deadline||April 30 (Sun.), 2023 (Japan Standard Time)|
|Application||Submit Indie Game "Selected Indie 80"|
TOKYO GAME SHOW Indie Game Secretariat
What is "SENSE OF WONDER NIGHT(SOWN)"?
"Sense of Wonder Night (SOWN)" is an event that aims to discover game ideas that will trigger a "Sense of Wonder" (a feeling of something changing in one's world the moment one sees or hears the concept). This year will be the 16th time for the event.
The presentations will be held on September 22 (Friday), the second day of the exhibition, at the studio in Makuhari Messe, and will be broadcast live as an official TGS program. On the day of the event, the winners of the "Audience Award Grand Prix," "Audience Award Semi-Grand Prix," "Best Technological Game Award" "Best Arts Award" "Best Experimental Game Award" "Best Game Design Award" "Best Game Design Award" "Best Game Design Award" "Best Game Design Award Best Game Design Award" "Best Presentation Award
- Last year's "Sense of Wonder Night 2022" can be viewed on TGS Official YouTube channel.
Objectives of Indie Game
"Selected Indie 80" and "SENSE OF WONDER NIGHT"
- To introduce game with a game design and ideas that are experimental and creative, and that cannot be called conventional or traditional
- To raise awareness of the great value of "Sense of Wonder" in games, which may transform the common sense of game, and lead to invigorate the game industry
- To provide future opportunities for those who are developing experimental and creative games.
- To create new domains in the game industry
SOWN targets games that meet the following five criteria.
- ❶ A game that realizes a totally new, never-seen-before gaming experience
A game that employs technologies that have not previously been used successfully, such as natural language processing, physics engines, image recognition or gesture control, to present a new kind of experience.
- ❷ A game that challenges the common sense of games
A game that pursues new ways of gaming expressions and changes the player's vision of the world after playing and experiencing it.
- ❸ A game with emergent features
A game that brings user's activities into the game world by embedding features such as AI interactions and social elements.
- ❹ A game that makes people want to play it immediately
A game that makes everyone thinks that they want to enjoy the new experience for themselves and feel that they want to treasure it.
- ❺ An amazing game
Any kind of new, eye-grabbing and impressive game!!
The "SENSE OF WONDER NIGHT" event has received a lot of inspiration from the "Experimental Gameplay Workshop" that was started at the Game Developers Conference in 2001. We would like to express our thanks to the many people who helped to make these workshops a success and to all our friends.
SOWN2023 Implementation Outline
|Date||September 22 (Fri.), 2023 (Japan Standard Time)|
|Venue||TGS Streaming Studio at Makuhari Messe|
|Notes: The Presentation Day||